If you are one of those homeowners, current or future, who love animals but is stress about how having a pet will affect your new flooring, fret not! This guide will help you put your worries at ease.
As much as we love your fur kids and furry friends, you should never have to choose between owning a pet and having your ideal home design.
If you are worried about having scratches or damaging your floor from the possible pee accidents of your pets, you can mitigate the damages and risks by opting for advanced technology flooring materials.
With the myriad of options of flooring, ranging from different qualities, styles and materials, you can have both style and functionality.
What most pet owners are usually concerned about is the possible odours, stains and damages from the occasional pet incidents you have at home. This is inevitable even with the most well-behaved pet.
Helpful read: Flooring Cost Guide
Properties of a pet-friendly floor
It is inevitable with pets that their nails are bound to scratch your floor as they walk or run. As such, you need to find and choose a flooring material that is relatively scratch-resistant and can withstand the frequent scratching and running of your fur kids,
Even with the most behaved pet, there can occasionally be accidents where your pet pee or poo on your floor. It is always safe and wise to choose a water-resistant material. This is because in the unfortunate event that your pet pee or poo on your floor, you can be at ease knowing that your floor will not be damaged as easily.
Dirt and stain resistant
With pets, they are sure to run around and play outside and more often than not, they will tend to bring dirt and possibly mud into your home on a rainy day. You will like your floor to be relatively dirt and stain-resistant to better protect against any damages.
Comparing flooring options- pet-friendliness
Certain hardwood materials and options are better to be used as a flooring option if you are looking at pet-friendly options.
The harder the wood is, the more resistant it is to scratches. The possible wood options under this category would be oak, cherry, mahogany and walnut.
As such, be sure to consult your flooring consultant and ask for the hardness scale to discern the hardness of the hood better. The general idea is that if the rating is above 1250, the wood is considered to be hard.
- There are many finishing and colouration that you can choose from with wood flooring options.
- They are also relatively easy to maintain and clean. Usually vacuuming and sweeping, will do the trick.
- Hardwood flooring can be pricey. If you are on a tight budget, it will not be a good option for you.
- It is more prone to damages and scratches compared to other flooring options.
- You will need to clean up any stain and puddle of water quickly to avoid staining and water seeping into the wood cracks, damaging it. Should your pet urinate and poo on your hardwood flooring, it could very well leave an odour and stain over time.
Bamboo flooring would be the most ideal should you want a hardwood floor. It has this hardness that makes it much more scratch and stain resistant compared to the other traditional hardwood floors.
Helpful read: Different Flooring Materials And Advice From Experts
With the technological advancement producing laminate floors, laminate flooring is one of the top few options for pet owners. It fulfils most of the criteria listed above for an ideal pet-friendliness floor. It is water-resistant, relatively scratch-resistant and easy to clean.
As mentioned earlier, with pets, you must get flooring that is water-resistant and easy to upkeep.
With laminate flooring, you can be more at ease that when even if your pet were to urinate or poo on your floor. Since it is water-resistant, the flooring can hold up against the accident for a considerable time. Therefore, you will not have to clean up as soon as possible. This feature, also means that it is easier to clean up and upkeep your floor, which is an excellent bonus for pets.
Vinyl flooring is not only durable and strong like laminate flooring but also relatively affordable. Therefore, it is said to be the ideal choice of floor material for pet owners.
With vinyl flooring, have the option to choose designs that mimic that of hardwood or stone tile without breaking the bank. Besides, vinyl flooring is water, stain and scratch-resistant. Hence, it is a durable option that allows you to keep your ideal house design.
Tips on how to better maintain and upkeep your flooring
1. Do clean up your pet’s urine or poo immediately or as soon as possible. Even if your flooring is waterproof and stain-resistant, the flooring protectively layer might erode over time. This makes your flooring more susceptible to stains and water. In the long run, this could cause damages to your flooring. Therefore, it is advisable to clean up immediately.
2. Regular cleaning will help you to better maintain and upkeep your flooring, better preserving its longevity.
3. Do choose cleaning products that do not contain any harsh chemicals as it might not only be harmful to your pets but also your flooring over time. Certain chemicals in harsh detergent could erode your floor’s shine and protective layer and eventually ruin your flooring.
4. One tip for clearing up your pet’s order would be to sprinkle baking soda on the floor and let it sit for 10- 15 mins. The baking soda will absorb the smell, and it is easy to clean up as well.
- Creating your own Scandinavian interior design
- 6 Types of Modern Design for Bedroom
- Small Bedroom Design Ideas
- 10 Create Interior Decoration Ideas for Your Kids Room
- Best tile designs for your home
- Residential and Commercial Interior Design Ideas
- Ultimate Kitchen Design Guide In Singapore
- Things To Consider When Choosing Kitchen Cabinet
- Kitchen Space Saving Tips
We’re here to improve your home
Speak to hundreds of reliable pros, view their gallery, inspirations, and know the best prices with our resources.
Have full control over your home improvement projects with Homees.