House painting can be a big project for most homeowners. Be it the colours, the smell, the logistical issues that come during the home painting job, it can be troublesome for some of us. The last thing we’d want is to have a painter that cannot meet the quality standard and deliver sub-par painting work for our home project.
Homees provides a directory of painters in Singapore. You can compare and view a list of painters that can suit your home needs. You can find out estimates for your home painting project through our home painting cost guide.
11 Best Painting Companies In Singapore (Our Top Picks)
Painting Services Prices In Singapore (2022)
You can see in detail the price of our painting cost guide. Below are the usual rates of painting in Singapore from our cost guide:
Types of Flat
3-room HDB Flat
$600 – $1300 (And takes around 1-2 days)
4-room HDB Flat
$700 – $1500 (And takes around 1-3 days)
5-room HDB Flat
$800 – $1800 (And takes around 1-3 days)
5-room executive flats
$1300-$1900 (requires 2-4 days to complete)
Type of Housing
Condo below 1000 sq ft
Condo 1200-1500 sq ft
Condo 1500-1800 sq ft
Condo 1800+ sq ft
$1500 & Above
HDB Executive Apartment (EA) (single storey)
HDB Executive Apartment (EA) (double storeys)
HDB maisonette apartment
Litres of Paint
1 litre of paint
$16 – $30
5 litres of paint
$55 – $110 (around $11-$22 per litre)
20 litres of paint
$150 – $200 (around $7.50-$10 per litre)
Checklist For Hiring The Best Painter
When deciding on which painter to hire, keep in mind that different painters best cater to different needs. Some painters may charge more, but give a more extended level of warranty or guarantee in their work. Other painters charge cheaply. Yet others include more value-added services in their work.
The best way is to compare quotations between different painters – clarify their pricing, level of service, warranties and other factors, before deciding which is the best for you. Before hiring painters, it is best to keep these pointers in mind in selecting the best professionals:
- Check for reviews and ratings: At Homees, you can easily view a list of the best-rated painters. Read these reviews so you can better set the expectations right. After many projects, you can see which companies have better reviews than others. Companies that focus a lot on customer loyalty and satisfaction typically have good reliable reviews, evident by the companies here.
- Ask for multiple quotations: The most effective way to gauge the best pricing and value for your project is to ask for a few quotes. A few industry experts (with years of experience) giving you the best estimate will probably be extremely helpful in planning your painting job.
- Read fine prints before signing: Often, fine prints contain details that can be important but often not discussed during your conversation with professional painters. Some may require you to pay a hefty deposit or have a particular clause in them.
- Interview questions: Before hiring professional painters, you can ask them the following questions to better qualify them:
- How many years of experience do you have as a painter?
- Do you have a license and are you insured?
- Do you do the painting yourself or employ freelancers?
- Can you provide contact details for past clients who could serve as references?
- Do you offer any guarantees for your work?
- On-site quotations: Good painters should be able to provide on-site quotations, be it a free quote or one that covers their necessary costs (around $20-$30). Alternatively, you can give them a reasonable estimate on the surface area needed or even send them your house blueprint to let them give you an estimate.
Hiring a Painting Company vs DIY Home Interior Painting
Generally, homeowners believe home interior painting to be a relatively easy task. However, things don’t look so when you start painting your home yourself. Of course, you’ll save a considerable chunk of your budget. Unfortunately, you may have to pay much more to fix your mistakes. On the other hand, hiring a painting contractor has a few significant advantages:
It saves you time
First, you must weigh the option of painting your home yourself. If you decide to go the DIY route, consider all the hours you’ll have to spend on the project. Depending on the size of your HDB or condo, you might need one or two weeks to paint your interior.
On a side note, hiring a painting contractor will relieve you of this duty. As a result, you’ll be able to focus on your commitments without slowing down the painting process.
A painting contractor has the proper safety
Even though you may not need tall ladders to paint your HDB, you will still need the proper equipment. In this regard, you have to add everything to the home interior painting cost. A mask, masking tapes, brushes, drop cloths, paints, and primer are only a few of the materials you’ll need.
So, why buy everything when you can easily hire a painting contractor? A professional painting company will come with the right tools and training to use them properly.
Hiring a painting contractor ensures quality
To some, home interior painting is as simple as a walk in the park. However, not everyone can make the paint look good. Most importantly, not everyone has the skills to pull off a perfect paint job every time.
Instead of hoping for the best, hiring a painting contractor will ensure your walls look perfect. Best of all, a professional will know how to get all those hard-to-reach places. Ultimately, you’re much more likely to get quality painting services from professionals than from DIY.
As you can imagine, a painting company will get at least two or three workers to paint your home. Consequently, hiring a painting contractor will ensure you finish the job faster than expected. Instead of taking a full month, you may be sitting pretty in your freshly-painted HDB within a week or so. Ultimately, the faster results will give you peace of mind, and you’ll be able to focus on other tasks.
Preparation before engaging in painting services
Of course, every home interior painting requires proper preparation. Sometimes, the painting company may do some of it. Still, remember that you’re paying them to paint, not move stuff. After all, time is money, and you should prepare the worksite. Consequently, you can get the best bang for the buck.
Move your furniture
Perhaps, moving your furniture out of the way is the first task that you must complete. In most cases, paint professionals cover everything up with plastic sheets. Still, it’s best if there are no obstructions in the painters’ way. After all, home interior painting is an intricate job. Your painting contractor won’t like to stumble around on your furniture, especially with a full paint bucket in hand.
If possible, move your sofas and armchairs out of the room. If you don’t have any available space, you can move them to the centre of the room. Also, don’t forget to remove any decoration from your walls.
Clean the walls
Another essential step to consider is cleaning the walls. Sometimes, homeowners think there’s no need to do this step since the walls are getting a new coat of paint. However, fresh paint will bring out any physical differences in a wall. Therefore, you must get rid of any dust or dirt that has stuck in your wall.
Fortunately, you won’t need fancy solvents to clean your walls. Instead, you can mix a solution of water and a mild detergent. Consequently, you can apply it to the wall with a sponge and carefully remove any stains and dust. Just be careful not to soak your walls.
Remove outlet covers
Most of the time, people forget about this factor. However, no one likes getting their outlet covers painted. Luckily, you can easily avoid the problem by removing your outlets and switching plates.
Dedicate a “staging area”
Since you’re having a “paint-over”, you’ll need a dedicated “staging area”. In other words, your painting contractor will need a place for paint preparation and storage. This tip is especially crucial if you want to avoid clutter.
Keep your pets away
Last but not least, you should make sure you keep your pets away while having your home painted. Sometimes, hiring a painting contractor may not be enough to achieve a satisfactory result.
In most cases, leaving your pet come and go as they please may compromise the entire painting process. After all, your little critter won’t realise the importance of not rubbing up against the fresh coat of paint. For this reason, it’s best to leave your pet to someone else for a few days.
How to find a Reputable Painting Company
Generally, a proper paint job requires hiring a painting contractor that has professional skills and experience. Usually, there are three main ways to find a reputable painting company. Sometimes, asking your friends and family may not be enough. Therefore, it’s a good idea to have a few alternatives in your mind.
As expected, the first and most common way of finding a professional painting company is by word of mouth. If your colleague or relative recommends a painting contractor, you’ll likely buy it.
In this regard, you can start your search by asking your friends and family. They may have used painting services before and may give you a suggestion. Typically, the more people you ask, the better your chances of finding a decent painting company.
Also, don’t forget to go online. You can find an endless number of painting services by simply typing in a few keywords. Best of all, you’ll find all the information you need quickly and in bulk. Unfortunately, you won’t know much about these companies.
Visit review websites
Luckily, there’s a solution to not knowing anything about your local painting company. There are plenty of websites like Homees. We specialise in reviewing companies offering various jobs, including painting services.
Arguably, the best thing about these sites is that customers can rate each contractor and add commentary. That way, you’ll get valuable feedback about the quality of work that a painting company has to offer.
Questions to ask top painting contractors:
- How many projects like mine have you completed?
- How many years of experience do you have? Some painters may specialise in homes, large or small, corporate offices to big construction projects.
- What sort of painting projects do you specialise in? Some painters may specialise in home projects, while others in interior or exterior painting.
- How do you charge, and what does that include? Be sure to check with the painter beforehand on what items he charges for, and get it written down in black and white.
- What types of paint do you provide? Some painters offer a wide array of colours that serve different functions, such as Nippon anti-mould coats or odourless paint.
- Can you give me a written estimate? It is essential to write down the job scope and provide a written estimate before starting the work. Ask for any possible additional charges in case the painter may quote you for extra charges.
- Do you provide a warranty for your services? Reliable painting companies usually provide a warranty (range from months to 1 year depending on the company) to back their quality of work. Should there be any blemishes or wear and tear, they will usually redo the paint for you, and may do it for free or for a small fee.
- When can this job get done?
- Are there any important considerations or concerns you foresee with this project?
- Where to Buy Paint In Singapore? In Singapore, there are many different brands of paint available. Most painters carry the following brands: Nippon paint and Dulux.
Hire and review reliable painters in Singapore
Homees provides a list of the best painting services in Singapore. View the painter’s gallery and portfolio, compare prices of similar projects in your proximity. You can then read the reviews from previous customers to understand the background of prospective professionals, and how they rate their work, and message them directly to ask any specific questions.
We’re here to improve your home
Speak to hundreds of reliable pros, view their gallery, inspirations, and know the best prices with our resources.
Have full control over your home improvement projects with Homees.