Are you looking to engage a plumber? Here is a list of doubts that you may have when hiring a plumber. For plumbing costs in Singapore, check out our cost guide on plumbing projects and their estimated costs in Singapore.
General Questions for Plumbers
When do I need plumbing services?
The first situation where you may need a plumbing service is when you are faced with a plumbing issue.
The next and probably often overlooked area is regular plumbing maintenance.
A word of caution: a problem in one area could indicate a need for a closer inspection of the entire commercial plumbing system. This is especially so if the trouble is with water flow or leaking pipes or fittings.
If you are unable to handle plumbing issues such as replacing a defective flapper or broken handle, it’s best to call the experts and let them give you an in-person estimate on the problem and how much it will cost to fix it.
Can I get a quote over the phone?
Most plumbers have many years of experience and can give a good estimate. Though plumbers may be able to provide a good estimate over the phone, these phone quotes may be subjected to changes once the plumber sees the job as there are many intricate details that may be overlooked.
Most plumbers prefer assessing the problems on the spot before able to give an accurate quotation. We have come up with a useful cost guide that can help you estimate how much your job will cost.
Why can’t plumbers commit a price over the phone?
This is because it is impossible for them to know the work to be done just by verbal description. Many details may be overlooked, which may affect the pricing. Most plumbers prefer assessing the problems on the spot before able to give an accurate quotation.
When do I need plumbing drain services?
The obvious reason you need plumbing drain services is when your drains are clogged and drain cleaning products cannot solve the issue.
Foreign objects lodged in your toilet or garbage disposal completely blocked drains and broken pipes are common reasons to bring in plumbing drain cleaning services. Professional plumbers can diagnose serious issues such as major damage to the main drain pipe or sewage system.
Regular plumbing drain services can help prevent problems caused by your drainage system. It is advisable to engage in a regular draining maintenance package with your plumber to ensure your drains are in good condition.
How do I know if the plumber is reliable?
Plumbers require a PUB license to be able to work in this trade. You can also reviews of plumbers in Singapore.
What qualifications must plumbers have?
From 1 April 2018, only PUB Licensed Plumbers (LPs) licensed under this revised scheme are allowed to carry out water service and sanitary works.
Consumers who hire unlicensed plumbers for tasks more complex than the installation of a sink or unblocking of floor traps could be fined or jailed.
For more information, visit the following:
For the application of plumbers license, visit:
How much in advance do I have to make an appointment with a plumber?
Due to the nature of work, most plumbers can respond to you within 30 minutes to an hour. For maintenance jobs, it is best to fix exact dates so both you and the plumbers can schedule in advance.
Job-specific questions to ask plumbers
How much would the cost of hiring your plumbers?
Most plumbers charge by work done or per-project basis. Check out our cost guide for price estimates based on different work done.
Would the plumber charge me a different amount from what was agreed?
Plumbers are usually able to issue a receipt after assessing the situation. The amount on receipt should be the final price. This receipt is issued before the work starts and after the assessment.
What are the repair works that plumbers undertake?
Every plumber may offer different kinds of plumbing services. It is best to check with the plumber on what they can provide before engaging them.
Some of the common plumbing services include:
- Toilet bowl choke
- Floor trap/drain choke
- Sink choke
- Pipe leak/burst pipe
- Faulty tap leak
- Toilet bowl flush leak
- Concealed pipe leaks
- Bidet installation
- Water heater repair and installation
- Toilet bowl replacement
- Repairing, installation and replacement of sanitary & plumbing fixtures for residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- Plugging of pipe leakage
- Pipe installation
- Clearing of Choked pipes, basin, toilet bowls, floor traps, manholes etc., by manual labour or machine-assisted
- Repair and replacement of water taps, mixer taps, piping, bottle traps, flexible hoses, basins, sink bowls, urinal bowls, flush cisterns and toilet accessories
- Supply and installation of water heaters (instant or storage) and dustbins
- New / Re-piping for entire housing units using copper, PVC or Stainless steel pipes
- Replacement of Toilet Flooring, shower screens, aluminium doors etc.
- Clearing of choked pipes, toilet bowls and manhole
- Detection for pipe leakage and repair for leakage in a residential and commercial piping system
- Installation of shower water heaters
- Flooring and tiling service for bathrooms
- Installation for kitchen plumbing
- Installation for bathroom plumbing
- Installation for shower plumbing
- Installation for sewage plumbing
- Installation of toilet accessories, toilet bowls, faucets, sinks, plumbing fixtures and urinal bowls for residential and commercial buildings
- Replacement of faucets and plumbing fixtures
- Installation of a rubbish bin for HDB flats
- Replacement of piping and sewage system for buildings
- Replacement of cast iron sewage piping for HDB Flats
What are the procedures involved when hiring a plumber?
- Call in to make an appointment with a plumber
- Inform the plumber of the problem, describe as clearly as you can
- The plumber arrives at your place for assessment and informs you of the charges for the repair
- If fees are agreeable, the plumber begins repair work
- Depending on the plumber, payment is usually made after the repair is done and you are satisfied with the result
- For plumbers providing a warranty, the details of the warranty are typically written on the receipt.
Is there any warranty or guarantee after repair and for how long?
You can clarify with the plumber you are in contact with whether they provide any warranty or guarantee after their work, and for how long. Most professional plumbers can offer this guarantee for their workmanship.
Some plumbers cover residential repair and replacement plumbing work (around three months) and commercial repair works (around nine months).
Other common FAQs
- How do I know if the plumber is from the company I contacted?
- What license do you have as a plumber?
- What is the first thing you look at before you design a plumbing system?
- Do you have any experience installing water-based heating systems?
- What safety precaution measures do you take when installing or maintaining a plumbing system?
- What experience do you have with snaking clogged pipes?
Find Plumbers In Singapore
Homees allows users to search plumbers based on proximity, availability and type of plumbing issues such as pipe leak, water pipes problem. If you are looking for reliable emergency plumbing services, you can look for Homees to immediately have a ready plumber right at your doorstep.
Cost of Other Home Improvement Areas
You can check out the cost of hiring professionals for other aspects of your home improvement project. Some of the general cost guides can be found below:
- Electrician Cost Guide
- Handyman Cost Guide
- Plumbing Cost Guide
- Interior Design Cost Guide
- Home Decoration Cost Guide
- Kitchen Interior Design Cost Guide
We’re here to improve your home
Speak to hundreds of reliable pros, view their gallery, inspirations, and know the best prices with our resources.
Have full control over your home improvement projects with Homees.